Wednesday, March 17, 2010

School Orientation for Pre-K Tutoring






We were told in our orientation that we would start the week of March 1. It was the second week in March and I still hadn't heard anything. So I emailed the principle of William Beckham Academy, and she told me to come in whenever I want, they are happy to get all the help they can. So I told her I'd come in next Wednesday (March 17).

I showed up at the school and went to the principal's office, and met the principal, Janet Glenn. She was really glad to see me there. Apparently, even at this time, she didn't have any information from the school district regarding how many volunteers she'd have, what they were trained in, these types of things. But she was anxious to put me to work! So she walked me down the hall to meet the teacher I would be working with, Mrs. Marshall. Mrs. Marshall? That was the name of my own kindergarten teacher! OK, it was a different Mrs. Marshall but it was Mrs. Marshall nevertheless. How is that for a coincidence, to volunteer at the same place I went to kindergarten, and then get assigned to Mrs. Marshall?

Mrs. Marshall was really glad to see me too. They have reading 3 reading groups and with me there, they can do 4 reading groups now. She has been a teacher for 16 years, lives in Novi, and could teach in Livonia if she wanted to. But she says the kids here need good teachers and need help more than the kids in Livonia. She is currently working on her doctorate at Madonna. She is definitely all smiles, and the kids all like her. So do I.

So now that I have been oriented to the school, I will go in next week to start my tutoring. I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Marshall nevertheless. How is that for a coincidence, to volunteer at the same place I went to kindergarten, and then get assigned to Mrs. Marshall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Marshall was my kindergarten teacher at Waldorf, as well as my after school provider?

    ReplyDelete