Saturday, November 07, 2009

The Girl Next Door




Don't you just love hearing your grandparents tell stories? I do vaguely remember my grandmother telling me that her parents lived next door to each other before they got married. If so, my great-grandfather literally married the girl next door. One day, I decided to find out of this was true.

I found the proof in the 1893 R.L. Polk Detroit City Directory. Mary Elizabeth Dieffenbach was the daughter of Michael Henry Dieffenbach, who lived at 1301 St. Aubin in 1893. At the time, Mary was 19 years old. William J. Murphy, age 18, printer, and son of candymaker James C. Murphy, lived at 1305 St. Aubin in 1893, at the corner of St. Aubin & Hendries, and later married Mary Dieffenbach in 1902. James and Mary were my great-grandparents.

So, the story is true, after all! My great-grandfather did marry the girl next door!

Q.E.D.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to mention not to forget the 1929 R.L. Polk Detroit City Directory, which is once again free-access available on the UofM's library website. http://quod.lib.umich.edu/g/genpub/acs8107.1928.001/2282?page=root;size=175;view=image

    The above link is for Crane Avenue as I read you have/had a family house there. You can navigate anywhere from there.

    I have yet to read your entire blog but I'm enjoying "plowing through it" and learn something new about my old home town every time. I send my warmest regards from Sugar Land, Texas!

    ReplyDelete