Monday, October 19, 2009

Set-up




OK, it has been a while since my last blog, now I have a backlog of things to blog about. Besides, my Mom has been bugging me to blog some more.

When my Grandpa Goeddeke died, someone had made some copies of some of his papers and left them out for people to pick up at the funeral reception. Among these papers were copies of the original letters that my Grandpa and Grandma Goeddeke wrote to each other setting up a first meeting. Click on the images to enlarge them.

Friday the 16th [1932]

I take the liberty of addressing you

My dear Miss Murphy:

The pleasure is all mine but, where have you been all my life?

A name and this address was given to me in the course of a friendly conversation. After hearing of a few qualities, among many, of the owner of this name I found myself wanting to make the acquaintance of this interesting personality. No harm in that, is there? No? Then let’s “get going.” If you are one bit reluctant it may be well to name my two friends (and incidentally yours) to you! Helen and Bill [Vollmers -- Bill was a friend of Vince Goeddeke and Helen worked with Gertrude at Hudson's]. Gee, I knew you’d feel better if you heard their names. Well, here am I, hat in hand, and “Pleased to meetcha.” Now that we’ve met, when is the first opportunity to see you? Please hurry! Very impatient.
A skating party this Sunday, 18th, and would like to have you along (but this might not reach you ‘till Monday). We go every Sunday afternoon (and High mass every Sunday morning). Do make a favorable reply.
Meet you Wednesday afternoon when you leave the office? Since you suggest it, I am willing! Just imagine, how romantic! What time, which door, and how you’ll be dressed. Murphy would go good with green or vice versa.
Whatever else you do (for instance, wash your ears and powder your nose) answer this on paper immediately and send it post haste.
Hopefully Yours,
Vincent Goeddeke
2163 Antietam St.
P.S. I’ll say three Our Father’s + Hail Mary’s so my terms will be accepted.



Writing Room J.L. Hudson Co. Detroit
Monday 19th [1932]

Dear Mr. Goeddeke,

So you are real after all. You can imagine my surprise to hear from you today, when I came back from lunch. I suppose it’s a joke or a dare, but if your anything like your writing sounds, I’m willing to take a chance on meeting you. It seems sort of rushing things, but oh! What I’ve heard about you (not so bad).
As for meeting you Wednesday, why how could I? You’ll wear a green carnation or something to distinguish yourself I suppose, how else will I recognize you. Remember I haven’t the least idea, what you look like. I know your (big and blond) but that won’t get me far.
Sorry I missed out on the skating party, and Sunday my birthday too (believe it or not). Strange isn’t it?
If I don’t get cold feet before Wednesday, I’ll be there. Follow closely. Time 3:30. Door: Farmer St. near Grand River. Appearance: green coat trimmed in gray fur, black velvet hat, a dotted dress (black with tan dots!) and it’s a little long and shows below my coat. Think you’ll spot me when I appear? Oh, by the way I’m a brunette, although I suppose you knew that, but just to assure that I still am, and my hair is bobbed. That’s about the best I can do. Now that you’ve got the reply, say a few more “Our Father’s + Hail Mary’s” so you will know me. We’d need to recite the rosary in this case, it seems so impossible.
If the meeting fails to take place, we’ll hope for a proper “introduction” sometime soon, eh!
Honestly, this is about the most daring thing I’ve ever done in my life. At first I was going to ignore your letter completely, but your sense of humor attracted me. That’s something I didn’t know about you. I’ll say like you,
Hopefully Yours,
Gertrude Murphy.

1 comment:

  1. It's sad to think that beautiful writing such as this has been taken over by cryptic text messages.

    ReplyDelete